Del Hardin and his loyal companions

Del Hardin and his loyal companions
Meet the heroes: Grendel, Victoria, Del, Killian, Slith, & Amadeus

Monday, October 11, 2010

Brief Greetings and The Joys of Editing.

First off, I wanted to say greetings and salutations to both of my followers! Andrew and Dave, welcome. Also a quick hello and thank you for commenting, to Debby Small from “Small Problem Blog” It’s nice to have you all on board.

Believe it or not the second part of my headline is not meant to be sarcastic. Late Friday night my editor sent book 1 back over to me. I haven't gotten too deep into the process yet but I can tell just from the 4-5 pages that I did proof, she did a magnificent job! This was the exact polish work that my book needed, as I'm painfully aware that my writing style is very unique and not always as correct as my high school and college English teachers would like. But that is why we have editors! Honestly, the tips and corrections that have been provided to me will be invaluable and I'm thinking that once I'm done proofing the edits, I should be able to start shopping this book around to publishers... Keep your fingers crossed folks and get excited (I know I am!)

Work on book 2 continues at a slower pace than I would like, but I have to remind myself that forcing quality work is not something that should be done. I'm actually re-reading the first eight chapters that I've written, as that usually gets me primed to continue the story. Either way, I'll be spending most of my Monday within the world of my books; please don't be offended if I screen my calls.

I've also received some more feedback since my last post. Two colleagues from work are enjoying it, even without the edits and applauded my "attention to detail,".

A well wisher from the comic shop I frequent finally came clean after dodging me for a while and admitted that he didn't really like it. The silver lining of that is he also said this regarding the book:

"I had the same problem with your writing that I had with the Lord of the Rings, too much detail."

So, while telling me why he didn't like; he inadvertently gave me a huge compliment. Liken me to Tolkien all you like Ed, I won't be offended!

A friend of my sister's had started reading the book when they took a trip together and he had 99% positive feedback for me. He really seemed to like the action sequences, which is always good to hear. I always try to visualize them and when I have room to do so I'll even attempt some moves from time to time just to be certain the flow of combat makes sense.

Last piece of feedback, and the true joy for me this week, came from none other than my editor who said the following:

"That final battle scene with -SPOILER FREE!- was great.  You really shone as a writer there.  I wanted to read for reading's sake and forget about editing it so I could find out how it ended."

Now that is a compliment. To all of you mentioned above (yes Ed, even you!) and to those who have provided invaluable feedback in the past and plan to continue to do so in the future; my most heartfelt thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh yes I've had that happen before, an editor show what they've done and it be the one thing that takes your work and kicks it up about twelve notches.

    If anything i have the exact opposite problem with my writing. 'You don't give enough detail, you just flit here and there.' The problem is if I focus on a single detail that kind of derails what's going on and I break flow.

    I only update as often as I do because I currently am a bit of a home body and carry my weight by doing housework. Were i to have an actual job my updating would probably tank to two or maybe even one update a week (though said update(s) would probably be far larger than they are now to try compensating. So don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how important good editing can be.

    If your editor gives you good advice, listen to her. On the other hand, she's only human, and not every correction is for the better. In the end, it's your name on the book.

    Knowing what advice to take, and what to ignore, that can be the challenge!

    ReplyDelete