Del Hardin and his loyal companions

Del Hardin and his loyal companions
Meet the heroes: Grendel, Victoria, Del, Killian, Slith, & Amadeus

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Just when I thought is was safe to say the book is finished...

So I've spent most of my "writing time" focusing on the final proof of "The Trickster's Key" as of late. While there is a part of me that feels a little bit ashamed that I haven't made more progress in its sequel (I've been on chapter 8 of the second book for much longer than I'm willing to admit) I will say that the first book is a much tighter read thanks to the attention I'm giving it. Once again I have to give credit where it is due, so to my editor, Ashley, if you're reading this please know that your work was nothing short of fantastic and many of the suggestions you made in your comments have been taken to heart and found their way to the page.

I haven't made any major plot changes to the book, but was able to fine tune some of the seeds for overarching plots that will run throughout the series and find resolution/payoff in later titles (I know, everyone likes closure and self contained stories, but I'm writing a nine book saga here... I need something to help bring my readers back for more!)

Rest assured all, the book stands on its own and it doesn't end on a cliffhanger at all. There is closure to this portion of the story. I'll say no more.

Content wise, everything that I've added or changed really adds to the story (IMO) and their are some really great lines that I've added in the early chapters that help to drive home where certain characters are coming from (the Trickster, especially!)

As of about 7AM this morning I had 3/5th the first book proofed, and if today goes well I'm going to see what I can do about finishing it all together (a lot will depend on other obligations for today...) The proofing/revision process has actually been a real pleasure for the most part and in the moments when my eyes aren't on the first books manuscript I keep finding myself thinking about things to do in book 2. Take heart fans (I have at least 3 legitimate fans people; Ann, Skip, and Kyle all count!), once I'm done with this final proof/ 3rd Draft, my plan is to briefly make the book available for purchase via lulu.com and then to dive back into the sequel in earnest. Until then, don't be strangers; just be strange!

1 comment:

  1. Greg,
    It is so THRILLING to see you following your passion. I am VERY excited to see what we all know will be a masterpiece. Let me know if I can assist your edititng process(es) in any way.
    Luv ya bro,
    james

    ReplyDelete